White Spring Ranch is listed on the National Historical Registry and was the homestead of Idaho Territory settlers in the Dry Farming Wheat producing Palouse area, south of Moscow, Idaho. John Lorang and Mary Gesellchen Lorang created a successful farm, but they were also historians, writers and photographers. They preserved First Hand documentation, books, journals and letters from its founding in 1885 to the present day. Thousands of artifacts, these Letters, Journals, Photographs and books are in the Archive Library collection.
The White Spring Ranch Museum is supported by grants and donations and by students and faculty from Washington State University, Lewis & Clark College, the University of Idaho and Genesee School students.
White Spring Ranch/Archive Library has been awarded the 2019 Sister Alfreda Award from Idaho State Historical Society and Idaho Humanities Council. Idaho Heritage Trust and other grants provide yearly assistance with preservation, restoration and events.
“This program is supported in part by a grant from the Idaho Humanities Council, a State-based partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities.Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this (publication, website, exhibit, etc.) do not necessarily represent those of the Idaho Humanities Council or the National Endowment for the Humanities.”
With a minimal budget of grants and donations, we have become a gathering site for students, artists and volunteers with all kinds of skills to restore the: 1878 Log cabin, c.1880’s Curio cabin, c.1873-1904 Historical Farmhouse and 160 years of letters, journals, books and photographs into an onsite and online library.
White Spring Ranch is open for visitors from 1:00 pm to sunset on Sundays, Tuesdays and by appointment. 208.416.1006. Come to visit. Learn of the Farming history of Idaho and read first hand documents detailing American Life for the last 160 years.